Monday, May 16, 2011

Flair and Style for Zero Dinero

Wait is that even possible?
 
This past weekend I opted to transform the blank canvas that was the built in bookcase in my master bedroom. Rather then have it filled with a mishmash of books placed hap hazardously on the shelves, I decided to style it up and add a bit of flair.
Abandoning any form of alphabetical or genre ordering (HA like I was really going to pretend to be that organized); I went for the visual wow and color coded the book case in my room. BTW I really thought that this would be a quick little 5 minute re-do. 
My inspiration:




All the books were removed the dust bunnies were pledged to death..RIP. Then came the task of color coding and making it look somewhat cohesive. No joke I must have stared at my empty bookcase for a good fifteen minutes during which time I did consult the color wheel and Mr. Man. Mr. Man for the record had no input but did volunteer to take the kiddos to the park.
 
Away I went grouping and trying to ascertain which books helped achieve my vision of chic and sophistication. I intermingled stacks of books along side standing books, white objects were splashed through the shelves. I easily arranged the books on the shelves 6 different times before finally loving and deciding upon bright colors on the lower shelves while the top shelves were filled with white, creams, and pale yellows.
 
My takeaway notes from this lil project:
A successfully styled bookcase definitely takes work.
I spent a little over two hours arranging and rearranging .. so much to my 5 minute estimate
I was able to put together a box of books to donate .. good deed
Bookcases to not have to be bland and boring
My bookcase wasn't even half as interesting as it is now. Hooray for the visual slap in the face (in a good way of course) my bookcase now provides.

xo - Shana

No comments:

Post a Comment